Water Use in Agriculture
The scope of this strategy encompasses RD&E directly addressing on-farm water management or agricultural water management at the farm level and up to sub-catchment or irrigation scheme level. This strategy includes both rainfed and irrigated agriculture. The emphasis is on RD&E to help achieve farming systems with high water use efficiency and productivity per unit of water used.
The RD&E objectives are as follows:
- Modernise irrigation systems and practices by developing flexible irrigation strategies that are designed around soil, crop, irrigation supply (quantity and quality) and management constraints
- Increase the productivity of water in rain-fed agriculture by better adapting to seasonal variability in rainfall and maximising its use (also applies to irrigated systems)
- Facilitate getting knowledge into practice and building human capacity by designing and implementing programs that reduce the cost and increase the rate of adoption of new technologies by farmers
- Improve the capacity to inform planning and policy related to agricultural water use
- Manage water use in agriculture to minimise adverse impacts.
For more information please contact Guy Roth